It seems like all of these senseless, extremist murders are carrying on without much being done about them. I find it very frustrating. The following is a list of things I think should happen to reduce extremism:
1. Every child should learn critical thinking at school. This will teach them to challenge what they're being taught, and understand how their minds can deceive them, e.g. basing their beliefs on emotions, rather than logic and evidence.
2. We need a new kind of social network; the opposite of a dating site, where instead of being matched with people like you, you're matched with people who are completely different to you. In Facebook and Meetup we join groups with like minded people, and we keep contact with those people. We need to diversify, and make friends with people of different races, languages, sexual preferences, etc.
3. We need to invent better technology to overcome language barriers, e.g. gadgets like Pilot. Facebook does an okay job of translating foreign languages, so people can type in their own language and others can read it in theirs.
4. We shouldn't have schools based on specific religions. Now, I know you're thinking "But my religion is the one true religion and we should get rid of schools that follow other religions, but not mine." My counter argument is that is exactly why there shouldn't be specific religious schools; No-one is going to learn about your religion if you're isolating it from the rest of the world. It would be better for all schools to teach about all the major religions, covering evidence for and against them, and then the children can use the critical thinking skills which they learned at school to decide, based on the evidence, which is the right religion and obviously they'll choose yours.
5. The use of intellect, rather than bombs. The group, Anonymous, showed us an example, where they disabled extremist websites.
6. We need a democratic way of making changes in other parts of the world, not just in our own country, e.g. Democratic Intelligence.